Wayne Weaver Says He Thinks Owners Will Win April 6th Hearing

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by SRW, Mar 28, 2011.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times Union reports Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver doesn’t believe the court system will solve much in the labor dispute between the NFL and its players. He thinks negotiations will lead to a fair deal in time so that games aren’t missed. “I’m getting out another letter to all of our fans saying, you know, you’re going to hear a lot in the media about the court hearings on April the 6th,†Weaver said before speaking during a corporate rally at Acosta Sales and Marketing. “The reality of that is we think we’ll win, but if we don’t, we’re still going to get back to the negotiating table. It’ll just be how soon and when. Once we get back to the negotiating table, we all know that we have to play football in 2011. That’s our bottom line.†Weaver spent his portion of the event providing an update on the NFL’s labor situation, from his perspective, and an assurance that football would happen this season. He called the 10 plaintiffs in the players’ antitrust lawsuit, Tom Brady vs. the NFL, the “gang of 10,†and made several references to the players’ decertification and claims against the league being a “sham.†“It’s obvious there will be some leverage to whichever side prevails,†Weaver told reporters. “But I don’t think it will keep from getting a deal done that’s fair to both sides. I think the offer that was on the table when the union decertified, I thought it was an extremely fair offer. Did it have all the tweaks that the players wanted? Probably not. We should’ve stayed at the negotiating table until those things got ironed out.â€

Source: Florida Times Union