Week 2 Wrap Up/Week 3 Preview

Discussion in 'NFL Writer's Block' started by JEMicklos, Sep 13, 2013.

1. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

This was another great weekend for college football fanatics. We saw upsets, overtime thrillers, and teams costing me money. We’ll get to all that right now.

Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles 0 @ #21 Wisconsin Badgers 48
    The Badgers defense has yet to give up a point this year. I don’t care who you are playing, that is dominance. They are showing once again that they can run the ball at will.

Cincinnati Bearcats 17 @ Illinois Fighting Illini 45
    BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP! I now have a new team I dislike in Cincinnati. Can’t believe I actually had faith in them. Big ups to the Illini for starting 2-0.

View attachment 57877

#12 Florida Gators 16 @ Miami Hurricanes 21
    What an awful performance by the Gators offense. Five turnovers, four in the redzone. What a miserable game to watch. This is supposed to be the last time these two teams square off unless they meet in a bowl game due to money. The fact that money is ending this rivalry is a joke. Play the game in Tampa or Orlando and split the profits. Trust me, you’ll make your money.

Indiana State Sycamores 14 @ Purdue Boilermakers 20
    The Boilermakers are a sad team this season. Purdue picked off Mike Perish’s final pass to ice it with 46 seconds left.

Southeastern Louisiana Lions 17 @ #24 TCU Horned Frogs 38
    The Horned Frogs struggled and starting quarterback Casey Pachall went down after injuring his left forearm.

#13 Oklahoma State Cowboys 56 @ UTSA Roadrunners 35
    Again, BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP! Oklahoma State, you are on my crap list as well. If you want to know why, look up the spread of this game. Who gives up 28 points in the fourth quarter!?!

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 20 @ Tennessee Volunteers 52
    The Hilltoppers turned the ball over five times in six plays. Think about how inept you have to be to do that.

South Carolina State Bulldogs 13 @ #4 Clemson Tigers 52
    Clemson rolled a week after their big win. This team looks good folks. Real good...Almost too good…

Maine Black Bears 24 @ Massachusetts Minutemen 14
    The FCS has pulled off another upset this season. The Minutemen are in for another long season if their defense can’t get it together.

Chattanooga Mocs 42 @ Georgia State Panthers 14
    The Panthers are proving to everybody why they aren’t ready for FBS play losing to a FCS school for the second week in a row.

New Hampshire Wildcats 21 @ Central Michigan Chippewas 24
    The Chippewas rallied late to avoid the upset. After falling behind 21-7 early in the fourth, they reeled off 17 unanswered to get the win. Cooper Rush connected with Titus Davis for a 97 yard touchdown pass to tie it and then Ron Coluzzi put home a 27 yard field goal at the bell for the win.

San Diego State Aztecs 7 @ #3 Ohio State Buckeyes 42
    The Buckeyes rolled the Aztecs even though starting quarterback Braxton Miller went down with a sprained ligament in his knee. He is day-to-day as of today. We’ll know more Saturday morning.

Buffalo Bulls 13 @ #23 Baylor Bears 70
    The Bears offense is unbelievably amazing. They put up 56 points by halftime. This is a team to keep your eye on.

#2 Oregon Ducks 59 @ Virginia Cavaliers 10
    The Ducks made the trip across the country and still dropped 59 points. This offense is one of the most electric in the country.

South Alabama Jaguars 41 @ Tulane Green Wave 39
    Tulane is really really really bad. To think Matt Forte came from this program blows my mind. Tulane scored a late touchdown but the two-point conversion failed icing for the Jaguars.

View attachment 57882

#6 South Carolina Gamecocks 30 @ #11 Georgia Bulldogs 41
    The Bulldogs ended South Carolina’s three year run in this rivalry. Aaron Murray had a huge for the Dawgs. Todd Burley showed why he is a Heisman trophy candidate with another amazing effort. Georgia played like a desperate team and it showed. The Dawgs were just the better team.

Syracuse Orange 27 @ #19 Northwestern Wildcats 48
    The Wildcats showed once again that their offense is going to be a force this year. They dropped 34 points in the first half. I’m not calling them Big Ten favorites, but they have to be on the radar.

Richmond Spiders 21 @ North Carolina State Wolfpack 23
    The Wolfpack ran into some struggles against the Spiders. Niklas Spade made a 48 yard field goal with 33 seconds left to take the lead.

Southern Miss Golden Eagles 13 @ #22 Nebraska Cornhuskers 56
    The Huskers secondary showed up big time in the first quarter with two pick sixes. The offense rolled after that. Southern Miss has lost their last fourteen games.

James Madison Dukes 33 @ Akron Zips 35
    Now this was a fun game. The Dukes gave the Zips all they could but it just wasn’t enough in the end. In the end, James Madison ran out of time.

North Texas Mean Green 21 @ Ohio Bobcats 27
    This was a hard fought game. The Bobcats intercepted a late Derek Thompson pass to ice this one away.

West Virginia Mountaineers 7 @ #16 Oklahoma Sooners 16
    Oklahoma looked like a mess. Luckily they were playing West Virginia. Trevor Knight looked rough once again and is now out for 1-2 weeks after suffering a bruised knee.

Colorado State Rams 27 @ Tulsa Golden Hurricanes 30
    The Rams were up 27-17 going into the fourth quarter. Tulsa stormed back to tie it with 7:01 left. Carl Salazar put home a 34 yard field goal at the bell to win it for Tulsa.

Sam Houston State Bearkats 28 @ #7 Texas A&M Aggies 65
    The Aggies offense showed once again why they are considered one of the best in college football. The Aggies once again had a hard time stopping the run, which could prove to be real problematic.

View attachment 57884

#15 Texas Longhorns 21 @ BYU Cougars 40
    The Longhorns offense could only watch in horror as the defense gave up 550 yards rushing to the Cougars. Quarterback Taysom Hill had 259 yards rushing as he bounced off of Longhorns defenders all night. The Longhorns fired their defensive coordinator Manny Diaz after this embarrassing effort.

Nicholls State Colonels 27 @ Western Michigan Mustangs 23
    The Mustangs really needed a win after last week’s loss to Michigan State. The Colonels had other ideas. Josh Dewey picked off Tyler Van Tubbergen’s pass with 33 seconds to ice the game. Another FBS team has fallen to a FCS team.

UAB Blazers 17 @ #9 LSU Tigers 56
    Zach Mettenberger had an amazing game against the Blazers. Helping him out was receiver Odell Beckham Jr who not only had three touchdowns receiving but also returned a missed field goal 100 yards for a touchdown.

View attachment 57880

#14 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 30 @ #17 Michigan Wolverines 41
    This game was another classic in the rivalry. Devin Gardner had himself a great performance until his boneheaded interception leading to Stephon Tuitt’s interception in the end zone that put Notre Dame right back into the contest. Gardner threw a four yard touchdown pass with 4:18 remaining that iced it. This will be the last time we see these rivals face off for a while. I’m glad they gave us such a great parting gift.

Montana State Bobcats 30 @ SMU Mustangs 31
    The Bobcats gave the Mustangs all they could handle in this one. Garrett Gilbert connected with Darius Joseph on a 12 yard touchdown for the win.

New Mexico Lobos 42 @ UTEP Miners 35
    This game was another overtime thriller. The Lobos rode Kasey Carrier all the way to victory as he totaled 291 yards and 4 touchdowns. Carrier’s last touchdown was the winner as he took the third play of overtime 21 yards for a score. The Miners got all the way down to the Lobos four before Nathan Jeffery was stuffed on 4th and 1.

View attachment 57878

Washington State Cougars 10 @ #25 USC Trojans 7
    When will Lane Kiffin be fired? That is the question after an embarrassing 10-7 defeat at the hands of the Cougars. The Cougars only touchdown was a 70 yard pick six by Damante Horton. USC wasted Tre Madden’s 151 yard rushing effort as neither quarterback could get anything going.

San Jose State Spartans 13 @ #5 Stanford Cardinal 34
    The Cardinal defense put together a solid effort to keep the Spartans at bay. The Cardinal looked like they played the game safe.

Schedule

Thursday

#24 TCU Horned Frogs @ Texas Tech (+3) 7:30 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV
    Troy Trojans @ Arkansas State Red Wolves (-8) 7:30 ESPNU/Watch ESPN
    Tulane Green Wave @ Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (-7.5) 7:30 FOX Sports 1

Friday

Air Force Falcons @ Boise State Broncos (-23.5) 8:00 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV

Saturday

#5 Stanford Cardinal @ Army Black Knights (+30) 12:00 CBS Sports Network
    #7 Louisville Cardinals @ Kentucky Wildcats (+14) 12:00 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV
    Akron Zips @ #11 Michigan Wolverines (-37) 12:00 Big Ten Network
    Tulsa Golden Hurricanes @ Oklahoma Sooners (-24.5) ESPN2/Watch ESPN
    #16 UCLA Bruins @ #23 Nebraska Cornhuskers (-3) 12:00 ABC
    Bowling Green Falcons @ Indiana Hoosiers (-3) 12:00 ESPNU/Watch ESPN
    Western Illinois Leathernecks @ Minnesota Golden Gophers (-24) 12:00 Big Ten Sports Network
    Virginia Tech Hokies @ East Carolina Pirates (+8.5) 12:00 FOX Sports 1
    Georgia State Panthers @ West Virginia Mountaineers (-40) 12:00
    Southern Miss Golden Eagles @ Arkansas Razorbacks (-23.5) 12:21 ESPN3/Gameplan
    Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks @ Wake Forest Demon Deacons (-2.5) 12:30 ESPN3/Gameplan
    New Mexico Lobos @ Pittsburgh Panthers (-23) 12:30 ESPN3/Gameplan
    Eastern Michigan Eagles @ Rutgers Scarlet Knights (-27.5) 1:00 ESPN3
    Fordham Rams @ Temple Owls (-20.5) ESPN3
    Fresno State Bulldogs @ Colorado Buffaloes (+7.5) 2:00
    Youngstown State Penguins @ Michigan State Spartans (-24) 2:00 Big Ten Network
    Boston College Eagles @ USC Trojans (-14) 3:00 Pac-12 Network
    #1 Alabama Crimson Tide @ #6 Texas A&M Aggies (+7.5) 3:30 CBS
    Tennessee Volunteers @ #2 Oregon Ducks (-28) 3:30 ABC
    Nevada Wolfpack @ #10 Florida State Seminoles (-35.5) 3:30 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV
    Delaware Fightin Blue Hens @ Navy Midshipmen (-16) 3:30 CBS Sports Network
    Cal Poly Mustangs @ Colorado State Rams (-9.5) 3:30
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets @ Duke Blue Devils (+9) 3:30 ESPNU/Watch ESPN
    Stony Brook Seawolves @ Buffalo Bulls (-12.5) 3:30 ESPN3
    Wagner Seahawks @ Syracuse Orange (-28.5) 4:00 ESPN3
    Ball State Cardinals @ North Texas Mean Green (+3) 4:00
    Northern Colorado Bears @ Wyoming Cowboys (-26) 4:00
    Northern Illinois Huskies @ Idaho Vandals (+28.5) 5:00
    #19 Washington Huskies @ Illinois Fighting Illini (+10) 6:00 Big Ten Network
    UCF Knights @ Penn State Nittany Lions (-4.5) 6:00 Big Ten Network
    Iowa Hawkeyes @ Iowa State Cyclones (+1.5) 6:00 FOX Sports 1
    Howard Bison @ Old Dominion Monarchs 6:00
    Bethune-Cookman Wildcats @ Florida International Panthers (+3) 6:00
    Southern Utah Thunderbirds @ Washington State Cougars (-21) 6:30 Pac-12 Network
    #4 Ohio State Buckeyes @ California Golden Bears (+14.5) 7:00 FOX
    Kent State Golden Flashes @ #8 LSU Tigers (-36.5) 7:00 ESPNU/Watch ESPN
    Vanderbilt Commodores @ #13 South Carolina Gamecocks (-14) 7:00 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV
    Mississippi State Bulldogs @ Auburn Tigers (-6) 7:00 ESPN2/Watch ESPN
    Florida Atlantic Owls @ South Florida Bulls (-12.5) 7:00 ESPN3
    Nicholls State Colonels @ Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (-25.5) 7:00 ESPN3
    Northwestern State Demons @ Cincinnati Bearcats (-29.5) 7:00 ESPN3
    Massachusetts Minutemen @ Kansas State Wildcats (-39) 7:00
    Memphis Tigers @ Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (-8.5) 7:00
    Eastern Washington Eagles @ Toledo Rockets (-7.5) 7:00 ESPN3
    Lamar Cardinals @ #12 Oklahoma State Cowboys (-47) 7:30
    Western Kentucky Hilltoppers @ South Alabama Jaguars (+7.5) 7:30 ESPN3
    Maryland Terrapins @ Connecticut Huskies (+6.5) 7:30 ESPN3
    Kansas Jayhawks @ Rice Owls (-6.5) 7:30 CBS Sports Network
    #21 Notre Dame Fighting Irish @ Purdue Boilermakers (+20) 8:00 ABC
    #25 Ole Miss Rebels @ Texas Longhorns (-2.5) 8:00 Longhorn Network
    UTEP Miners @ New Mexico State Aggies (+3.5) 8:00 ESPN3/Gameplan
    Marshall Thundering Herd @ Ohio Bobcats (+8) 8:00 ESPNEWS/Watch ESPN
    Weber State Wildcats @ Utah State Aggies (-37) 8:00 ESPN3
    Western Michigan Mustangs @ Northwestern Wildcats (-30.5) 9:00 Big Ten Network
    Oregon State Beavers @ Utah Utes (-3) 10:00 FOX Sports 1
    Central Michigan Chippewas @ UNLV Rebels (-7.5) 10:00
    #20 Wisconsin Badgers @ Arizona State Sun Devils (-5) 10:30 ESPN/Watch ESPN/ESPN Mobile TV
    UTSA Roadrunners @ Arizona Wildcats (-24.5) 10:30 Pac-12 Network

Top Ten (Plus One) Games of the Week

View attachment 57875

1. #1 Alabama Crimson Tide @ #6 Texas A&M Aggies

The Tide may be saying that revenge isn’t on their mind, but don’t let them fool you. Nick Saban has pounded last season’s loss into that teams head. I’m taking Bama by 10+.

View attachment 57876

2. #16 UCLA Bruins @ #23 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Another revenge game as UCLA upset Nebraska last year in Pasadena. This year, it is in Lincoln. I say the Huskers take this one but it ought to be close.

View attachment 57887

3. #20 Wisconsin Badgers @ Arizona State Sun Devils

Every year we expect Arizona State to turn the corner and compete for the Pac-12 Title. Yet every year we are disappointed. On the other hand, Wisconsin has won the B1G three years in a row. I’m taking the Badgers in this contest to pull this one out.

View attachment 57886

4. #25 Ole Miss Rebels @ Texas Longhorns

The Longhorns are a team that is reeling already. After last week’s embarrassing loss to BYU, they fired their defensive coordinator only to replace him with Greg Robinson. Ask Syracuse and Michigan how they feel about Robinson. Ole Miss is my pick to surprise a lot of people this year. I’m taking the Rebels to knock off the Longhorns.

5. #24 TCU Horned Frogs @ Texas Tech Red Raiders

SADDLE TROPHY! A Thursday night matchup that should excite. TCU is dealing with starting quarterback Casey Pachall broken forearm. Trevone Boykin should provide a seamless transition into the starting role after having to play most of last year after Pachall went to rehab. With this contest being played on a Thursday night, I have to lean the Red Raiders way. I have a thing for picking home team upsets on Thursday nights. Call me superstitious.

View attachment 57883

6. Vanderbilt Commodores @ #13 South Carolina Gamecocks

The Gamecocks lost a tough one last week to Georgia. Vanderbilt has had a week to prepare for South Carolina. If you listened to the Gamecock press conferences after the Georgia game, the world seems to have ended. I think the Gamecocks come out hot and steam roll the Dores.

7. #19 Washington Huskies @ Illinois Fighting Illini

The Huskies offense looks stellar and their defense looks strong. The Illini are 2-0 after last week’s impressive win over Cincinnati. The Huskies look too impressive for me to even consider to Illini in this one.

View attachment 57873

8. #7 Louisville Cardinals @ Kentucky Wildcats

GOVERNOR’S CUP! The Cardinals have looked downright dominant right now. The Wildcats, not so much. Teddy Bridgewater’s Heisman campaign is in full swing and looks to keep it rolling. I’m picking the Cardinals to roll.

View attachment 57881

9. Tennessee Volunteers @ #2 Oregon Ducks

The Ducks looked like a dominant team once again. Their offense has put up video game like numbers. The Volunteers are 2-0, but don’t look like a team ready to compete with Oregon just yet. I’m picking Oregon to pile up the points.

View attachment 57874

10. #21 Notre Dame Fighting Irish @ Purdue Boilermakers

SHILLELAGH TROPHY! The Irish are coming off a tough loss to Michigan. Purdue looks dreadful. I’m picking the Irish to roll.

View attachment 57879

Plus 1. Marshall Thundering Herd @ Ohio Bobcats.

BATTLE FOR THE BELL! Marshall’s offense looks explosive once again. The Bobcats looked sluggish. Honestly, I’m confounded by Ohio’s slow start as they looked like a team ready to roll. They are doing their best to prove me wrong. Marshall has looked like a really good team, but their defense will need to keep it up. I’m taking Ohio to eke this on out.