What 0-3 Will Do For The Boys In Silver And Blue

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by 3rdStoneFromTheSun, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 3rdStoneFromTheSun

3rdStoneFromTheSun Truth Hurts Like Freedom

[​IMG]

When Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones poured billions of dollars into his roster and a brand new stadium, he envisioned his team making history by becoming the first to host a Super Bowl on their home turf. Instead, he has a team that could be on the brink of not making the playoffs already in just the third week of the 2010 NFL season.

While it is easy to point at an inept offense that is ranked 26th in scoring, the defense hasn't been much better and is the 19th best by allowing 40 points already. They are minus 13 in scoring differential, also ranked 26th. Not a formula a team with postseason aspirations needs to start out the season.

One major part of the criticism is directed at offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who pundits feel is castrating the team by throwing too much. Quarterback Tony Romo, whose 51 pass attempts last week in a loss to Chicago was the second most attempts of his career, went before the media recently lamenting the lack of rushing attempts so far.

Romo, who threw 47 balls in their first week loss to Washington, career high of 55 attempts last year against the New York Giants was also met with a loss. The three-time Pro Bowler is at his best, as are the Cowboys, when there is better offensive balance.

The media keeps piling up on Garrett. Darren Woodson, a former five-time Pro Bowl safety with Dallas, was heard on television telling Garrett to know his teams identity and to run the ball more before he finds himself run out of town.

Perhaps Jones waited too long to make this move, despite their 2009 success, because Garrett has a history of what is best described as "brain farts" in the most crucial moments. With more experienced and accoladed offensive minds out there after 2009, like Mike Martz of the Bears team that just beat Dallas, Jones probably should have pulled the trigiger to further teach the 30-year old Romo more on how to play quarterback.

Now the face a Houston team brimming with confidence and undefeated. Despite missing Preo Bowl and 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year Brian Cushing at linebacker, they have given up only 102 total rushing yards so far. Their defensive weakness has been in the pass, allowing a whopping 822 yards so far.

It is very tempting to eschew the running game one more week and attempt to get into a shoot out with Houston before hosting the Tennessee Titans the following week. However, this strategy could backfire on them.

Not only is the red hot Matt Schaub the top rated quarterback in the NFL right now, he is near or at the top in most passing categories. The Dallas defense has just two sacks and fumble recoveries thus far, with no interceptions, so they have a huge task in front of them against the top scoring team in the league.

Though it is not inconceivable Dallas could make the playoffs after losing their first three games, it is highly unlikely with 2009 playoff teams like Philadelphia, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Green Bay, and the defending champion New Orleans Saints still ahead on their schedule.

One may not have enough eyes this Sunday in Houston if Dallas goes late into the fourth quarter behind. From Jones to the team to the coaches, the range of expressions ranging from worried, dismayed, and angry could certainly destroy all dreams that the Cowboys will be on their own field during Super Bowl XLV.

2. Uncharted territory for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys have started the season 0-3 just twice since Jerry Jones bought the club in 1989. With the Texans' high powered offense coming to town.....safe to say it'll be three times.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

any given sunday

until then we'll see

4. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I really don't like that we have to look at this with the any given Sunday mentality.

If we play to our potential, we'll win. If we don't, we'll lose. This isn't an any given Sunday deal. We have the more talented team. It comes down to coaching, focus, and performing. Not any given Sunday.

5. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

People are crowning the Texans wayyyyyyyyyyy too fast

6. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Cosigned!!

It is awfully early to start anointing teams. Lets give it at least another 8 weeks or so. Then lets see what everyone's records are. :beer:

7. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

While an 0-3 start for the Cowboys after being so over-hyped is like putting my face between Jessica Alba's butt cheeks, this game is far from over... the Cowboys could easily win this game.

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Meh. Beating a winless team won't give the Texans the media attention they so want. The focus will be, "What's wrong with the Cowboys?' In fact, going 16-0 won't do it.

9. Omen

this is what ive been telling my buddy

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

but you're the one who said "any given sunday" as if we're the worst team ever against the best team ever and just hoping the sun shines on us tomorrow

11. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

16-0 will do it....but your right...nothing else will

12. Omen

i never said we were the worst team..............i was merely replaying to the original post and BBB that are putting us at 0-3 and the game hadnt been played yet.

the term any given sunday to me is about DC being bad..............its more about IMO that you never know what will happen during a game and who will come out on top until the end

13. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

Just a thought...but didn't the Cowboys go on to win the SB when they had an 0-3 start before?

14. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

0-2.. It was the second SB when Emmitt held out for more money.

15. Jihad Joe

"Overhyped" has gotten at tad overstated.

Won 11 games last year. Won 50 the last 5 years. Not considered a favorite, but meaqrly a contender this year

Doesnt really sound like "overhyped" to me

Overpublished.........yes. But there is a difference

16. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

Definitely overhyped....... The fact that the SB is held in the giant toilet bowl had way to many supposed experts and talking heads annointing them the hands down favoritesfor the NFC crown despite the decade plus of failure and meltdowns.

17. Spanky

Spanky Special Teamer

What 0-3 Will Do For The Boys In Silver And Blue?

To answer the question; it will get them a new coach. JJ has given the vote of confidence; ie Kiss of Death...

I would be VERY surprised to see Phillips on the sidelines after this week if they lose in Houston.

Maybe Wade should have been named Bum instead....????

18. Jihad Joe

lol. Im pretty sure that the Saints and Vikings have been the favorites to win the NFC all offseason by most of the talking heads, with the Cowboys the favorites to win the NFC East.........a division they won last year.

Simply put......You win 11 games, return almost the whole team from that season. Ya, you pretty much should be in the convo

As opposed to an Eagle team in 2008 that won 9 games, got hot at the right time, traded for one OT and signed an grossly overrated OT, and all of a sudden they were locks to dominate the entire NFC , and all there fans (notably phiglesphan) walked around with massive erections

You of all people talking "overhyped" is a massive joke.

You can just call me kettle from now on, pot.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  19. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Amen!

20. After the Bears game....I don't see really anything encouraging from the Cowboys at this point. It could be another shootout for the Texans with their passing defense at the bottom of the league....but they have been able to win out thus far with big plays on the offense and the emergence of Arian Foster.