What Does This Say?

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by nixaler, Oct 12, 2009.

1. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Hey everyone... Well yesterdays total meltdown against Atlanta tells me a number of things about the 2009 49ers. Either Atlanta is that good, and no disrepect to them but I dont think so... I feel they just played about as perfect a game as you can across the country on the road and the 49ers just played that bad... OR SF once again, isnt for real.

Now you can look back to 1994 to the 40-8 drubbing by the Eagles (the previous worst home loss) and say maybe this is what they need to play like a team who wants it and win most of their remaining games, but again, no... this is NOT even close to the 1994 team. This team from what I have seen if FAR from a contender. They dont have 16 games vs the NFC west. They cant win outside the division.

What do you think??

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I think Atlanta is pretty freaking good.

3. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

Better than Minnesota? The niners hung with the Vikes on the road and couldnt do anything against the Falcons - at home.

4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

You guys caught ATL coming off a bye. They had 2 weeks to game plan. The Falcons aren't bad this year. I think it's a mix of the bye week and the 9ers just flat out having a horrible game.

5. kchubb

kchubb Rookie

The game hinged on the drive we had in the 2nd quarter where we started our drive in Atlanta's territory because we recovered a fumble (i think?). Anyway, we started in field goal range, down 14-10 with a chance to take the lead, and what do we do? Run the ball right? Nope, three straight plays out of SHOTGUN! Starting at their 30! What happens? We take a huge sack on third down and fall out of field goal range and punt.

Next followed a series of really unfortunate events that put us in such a deep hole that we had to try to do what our team isn't built for, spreading the field. The D played terrible and the offense sucked... a lot has to do with the huge momentum swing and it looked like we gave up...

6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Hi Nix, I was at the 1994 Eagles game and unfortunately the one thing that they had that we don't have is a good team with a HOF QB leading the way. Falcons are a good team, great? I don't think so but the totally disintegration of the good part of our team is indeed time for worry, I'm afraid we are seeing the 2005-2007 teams again.:icon_sad:

7. cris80

cris80 comic relief

I think this is a big part of it. They have a good team, AND they got to plan for your game for an extra week. I didn't get to see the game, but the stats and game summary don't paint a pretty picture.

8. mike oxlong

mike oxlong The Voice Of Reason

I remember that 40-8 game, Garner went crazy. That was fantasy gold.

9. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

that game was the perfect storm of atlanta playing their best game (and they ARE very talented as you saw) and the niners failing to show up. if those 2 teams played 10 times, that would be the worst game for the 49ers out of the 10.

10. The Vin

The Vin Rookie

What does this say about the 49ers?

That after 4 years and Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary and everyone else, the 49ers are still lacking the one key ingredient that the past 49er teams that were great had:

A legitimate and explosive offense.

I am so tired of seeing our coaches treat the offense as an afterthought. It started with Nolan, who had no clue what to do and just hired OC after OC, telling them to manage that aspect of the game.

Then this season began and Singletary said things like "We don't want our QB to put the team on his back" and "We just want to run the ball." I think we're now finding out that you can't just run the ball when that is your only threat.

So we'll go back to Alex Smith, and here's hoping that he can make a difference and resurrect his career. Am I counting on it? Nope. But in order to be a successful team, the 49ers need to be able to have a balanced offense to go along with any defense they put out.

We'l see. But I'm not optimistic. We've already let the Cards back into the division lead and they've beaten the Texans and Giants already. Even if we do a clean sweep of our own division, if we don't manage to win some of these other games we're doomed.

11. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

We better pick up a way better offensive line, Pashos can't do it alone and he's on IR. <sigh>

Long time no see Vin, how you bees?

12. The Vin

The Vin Rookie

With Tony Pashos on IR and Baas and Chilo Rachal sucking it up on the inside, we need an entire offensive line makeover. Our o-line coaching has also been garbage outside of when Norv was here in 06. Do we ever do anything except straight line block?

Oh and hey Sweets. Yes long time. I've been good. How about you?