When stud RBs run out of gas

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by wide right, Jul 16, 2007.

1. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

One thing about RBs is that good careers often come to an abrupt end. Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, etc. A fantasy stud one year can easily go away forever. Factors such as injuries, age, and mileage play into this. For the sake of argument here how much do you think the following RBs have left as FF studs?
    • LaDanian Tomlinson
    • Larry Johnson
    • Shaun Alexander

Here's a good article that takes a look at what happens to happens to stud RBs when they have a heavy amount of carries like the above three. It's a FF preview for LJ but can easily be applied to all.
    Read Full Article
    Source: KFFL, James Eberspacher

2. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

I would like to think LT has the most left out of the three of them. He's just hitting his stride, Alexander is coming down from his and LJ is overused and will probably break down early because of it.

3. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

LT IMO has a lot left. And I don't think he will be used as much this year. I think they will work Turner more into the offense this season.

4. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

they better....LT is the ultimate RB, but the chargers put ALOT on his shoulders

5. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I agree, but From the things i have heard they're going to have Turner and LT on the field at the same time to open more things up for the offense.

6. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

are you in S.D.???

7. brakos82

brakos82 30% more cats than last year!

California Invasion! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!! :icon_lol:

8. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

i think shaun is never going to return to form i think he will get maybe 1100 this year maybe a little more but i dont see him being that stud that he was years ago. Larry Johnson was way overused and he has been the last two seasons if he goes over 400 again thats going to shorten his NFL career by several years

9. wide right

How come everyone thinks LT has so much more in him than the other 2? Look at the number of carries over the last 3 seasons.

Tomlinson
    04: 339
    05: 339
    06: 348

Johnson
    04: 120
    05: 336
    06: 416

Alexander
    04: 353
    05: 370
    06: 252

LT's racked up a lot of mileage. Don't forget how much more he's used as a receiver than LJ and SA too with 100, 53, 51, & 56, receptions the last 4 seasons respectively.

Alexander's foot injury probably makes him the most vulnerable to exit first. But after that I'd go LT 2nd and Johnson 3rd.

10. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Anytime a RB goes over 400 carries you're asking for trouble.

11. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

I can see what you mean, but LT does not take any hits during the pre season because he is rested. And as you can see there he does not go over 350 carries in a season.

And Yes Saints I am in SD.

12. wide right

He kinda does. LT had 348 rushes and 56 receptions. LJ had 416 rushes and 41 receptions. That's 404 total touches to 457. That's only 3 touches a game less for LT.

13. Litez0ut

Litez0ut Litez0ut Sucka

LJ makes more contact with his running style.

14. MichaelVick7

MichaelVick7 BANNED