White Sox P Phil Humber Tosses 21st Perfect Game In MLB History

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by themush, Apr 21, 2012.

1. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

The call could've gone either way. It was crapty for the ump to call it so fast, but it could have gone either way.

My favorite part about the whole thing is Fox not even showing replays after the last swing. WTF?!?

2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Dabears, if I was a Sox fan i'm sure I would be seeing the same thing you are. But I have the benefit of being on the outside of the emotion of fandom.

3. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I don't know what you are seeing but I know what I saw. I'm not blind...

Did he swing? Maybe.... Did he check his swing? Maybe....

It's NOT the White Sox fan in me saying this call could but what I honestly think as a baseball fan.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Problem is there isn't a clearly defined rule for check swings. Is it, did the bat break the plane of the plate? Or did the batter break his wrist? Most umpires go by the "broken wrist" rule.

I'm sure MLB is going to clarify this rule very shortly. The worst part is no one will remember who the hell Humbler was but they will remember the controversy.

Like I said, I tip my cap to Humbler. It's a part of MLB history forever that he threw a perfect game in the big leagues. I just think he was given the benefit of the doubt by the ump given the circumstances.

5. Steve12

I always thought the rule was the front of the plate. I've never even heard of the wrist thing.

6. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

It da truf.

7. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

The broken wrist rule? WTF?

I know only certain things are reviewable but something like this should be reviewable.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

with our technology, they just need to computerize/videoize all baseball umpiring and end the drama.

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Read

10. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

I'm a Mariners fan. If anyone wants that to not be a strike, it's me.

It literally could go either way. Way too close for any call to be right or wrong.

11. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

well, sure enough, humber has gone back to being humber after 1 fluke game. he has been horrid since this game.

humber may go down as possibly the worst pitcher in history to have thrown a perfect game.

is there a worse one?

12. Steve12

Ha. Exactly what I said. Worst pitcher to ever throw one. Closest might be Dallas Braden?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket