Who would you draft?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by wide right, Aug 19, 2007.

1. wide right

wide right Grumpy Old Man

Here's an exercise with players that may fall to you at the same draft position. Who would you take and why?
    Please feel free to also post your own.

Rudi Johnson or Willie Parker

Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander

Frank Gore or Joseph Addai

Edgerin James or Clinton Portis

Cedric Benson or Brandon Jacobs

2. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Rudi Johnson - he's a top tier back on a great offense
    Shaun Alexander - he's still got it and who knows what will happen with LJ
    Frank Gore - has proven himself as an elite back, I think Addai still needs to show he can be the workhorse
    Clinton Portis - James was terrible his first year in AZ and I will not pick him until he shows me otherwise
    Cedric Benson - plays on a team with a great defense and shaky QB so he'll be looked to carry the load. Brandon Jacobs needs to prove he can be more then a short yardage back.

3. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Rudi Johnson or Willie Parker - Parker. Very talented quick back and The Bengals passing game might take away carries for Rudi.

Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander - LJ. I think he'll resign with Kansas City and be the main back. I'm not sure Alexander could stay healthy and he's a lot older than Johnson.

Frank Gore or Joseph Addai - Gore. When healthy, Gore is amazing. Very tough runner who plays with a lot of heart. I'm confident he'll stay healthy. Addai is also a very young RB who has a lot of talent.

Edgerin James or Clinton Portis - Portis. Both play behind bad o lines but I'd rather take Portis, he's a very good RB and 3 years younger than Edge.

Cedric Benson or Brandon Jacobs - Jacobs. He's shown some very good flashes backing Tiki. I haven't seen much on Benson and know little about him.

Wide Right, who would you choose between these choices and why?

4. wide right

This one's tough but I give the slight edge to Rudi. A new coach in PITT means the may take time to find their stride. Rudi is the most underrated RB in FF. He never gets top tier respect but has quietly put up good numbers.

LJ's holdout doesn't mean crap to me. He'll be back in time to put up his usualy numbers. This whole he carries the ball too much nonsense is way off base. In another thread I think I showed how LT has almost the same workload and nobody says the same about him.

Gore may be the better RB but Addai will see the endzone more in IND. I also don't trust Gore's hand injury and history of injury.

Portis is the most overrated RB in FF IMHO. James stunk it up last season but a new coach with a run first philosophy means he'll put up better numbers than Portis who will share the load with Betts.

Benson hasn't shown me crap since coming to the NFL. He couldn't beat out Thomas Jones in 2 years so just because he has been named starter does not insure good FF numbers. Jacobs runs over people. Only a RB like Tiki could keep him out of the lineup. I expect a big year from Jacobs.

Marion Barber III or Julius Jones?

5. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Rudi Johnson's slipping in the coaches eyes and Kenny Watson might steal carries from him. Willie Parker is more of a threat because he can score from anywhere on the field and is used in the passing game more.

Shaun Alexander is going to be on the wrong side of 30 soon and Larry Johnson is an absolute workhorse. They still can squeeze out 3-4 more Earl Campbell-esque years out of him.

So Frank Gore stayed healthy finally. Whoopie. I am not buying that he can do it two years in a row. Addai is going to get some major touches and is a top 10 pick IMO.

James hands down. The O-line is improved and the offense should open up more with Leinart having more experience under his belt. Portis is too nicked up to be a FF force and Ladell Betts steals too many carries to make me take Portis over James.

Brandon Jacobs is an absolute tank. Benson is an absolute punk.

6. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

Marion Barber III or Julius Jones?

I would take Barber. Barber I believe will be the starting back and even if he isnt he will still get Goal-line carries which is great for FF.

7. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Marion Barber III without a doubt. He is a very good RB and he gets a lot of Touchdowns. Very tough runner for the Cowboys.

8. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

FWIW I read something today on Yahoo about that ending when Parcells left and Jones getting more goalline/overall touches.

9. 49ers121

49ers121 Portugal Mike

I thought it was the other way around? I read something a couple of weeks back that Barber was ahead of Julius Jones on the depth chart....I think one of the 2 will get traded soon enough and I think Jones will be the one.

10. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Parker for me. They have equal value in the running game but I think the Steeler would be more helpful in the passing game than Johnson.

LJ. But unless you draft before #3, you won't have to worry about that.

I'd take Addai because it would be too painful to watch Gore getting hurt or just failling to repeat his great '06 season, as a fantasy manager and as a 49ers fan.

Portis. But this choice is very tough to make.

Jacobs. I just don't trust that Bears offense yet.

Barber III or Julius Jones
    Barber III. Last year I took Corey Dillon and he lost his value because of the rookie Maroney, so I think this time I'd take the younger and upcoming guy.

11. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Parker - He is utilized in more offensive schemes than Johnson. He's also proving to be reliable. Johnson is a solid RB, but the air attack of Cincy limitis his TD potential.

LJ is the clear winner for me here. He is younger than Alexander and not coming off an injury plagued season.

Gore gets a slight nod simply because he'll be integrated into the offense more. If his hand is fine and he remains healthy all season, then he can easily have a repeat performance from last year. SF's passing game is improving so less defenders in the box at each snap against Gore. Addai will be a multi-faceted threat in the Colts offense, but he's still young and needs to prove he can carry the load week in and week out.

Jacobs will get the nod here slightly just because I've yet to see Benson prove anything in Chicago. He's been talked about as being an air apparent for multiple years now but hasn't shown much on the field. I personally am not fond of either back but I'll have to go with Jacobs until Benson proves otherwise.

12. wide right

Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart

Alex Smith or JP Losman

Roy Williams or Chad Johnson

Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne

Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson

Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis

13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Leinart has better weapons but a shacky OL. Cutler has a better OL but only one go-to WR...I guess I'd take Leinart because I think he'll post better numbers when he doesn't have to run for his life...

Losman hands down...Alex who?

Ocho-Cinco. The "Other" Roy will see his share of passes go down because of Calvin "OMG!!!! OMG!!! OMG!!!" Johnson.

Harrison is still Peyton's wife. Wayne is just his affair :lol:

Adrian Peterson has looked awesome so far. Did you see his first carry in the last preseason game?

Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis...neither. The Texans have no OL and every Browns opponent will be waiting for Lewis since they have no passing game whatsoever.

14. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart
    Tough choice. Leinart has better weapons but no line. I think I'd go with him, though.

Alex Smith or JP Losman
    Losman. Alex Smith is not fantasy valuable yet.

Roy Williams or Chad Johnson
    Is there someone on this planet who would hesitate there?

Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne
    Harrison. Why would you take the #2 if you can have the #1?

Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson
    Interesting question for the late rounds in keepers. I haven't seen them enough to have an opinion.

Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis
    Jamal. I like him, even as a Brown.

15. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart- Matt Leinart because he has more WR weapons at his disposal. If the OL improves in AZ, then Edge can become a quality RB again. Jay Cutler maybe pretty good, but he has less WR options and Denver's running game trumps most passing chances.

Alex Smith or JP Losman - Alex Smith is my pick here because I think Gore and Davis will aleviate a lot of pressure that's been on Smith. Losman seems like he's a little behind Smith in figuring things out.

Roy Williams or Chad Johnson - Chad Johnson is the more proven WR who has an elite QB to throw to him. Detroit still has holes at OL and in the running game so Kitna may not have as many looks to Williams, especially since Calvin Johnson will receive heavy attention.

Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne - Toss Up w/ this. I don't see how either is a bad pick.

Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson - Solely based on what I heard, I'll go with Marshawn Lynch but I am not overtly excited about any of them.

Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis - Both were great backs in the past, but both are now a step slower and in worse offenses. I would choose Lewis only because he's been healthier over the past couple seasons. I don't know who will have less carries to split.

16. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

Parker- One...I'm a homer....two...Johnson can have a great game and then be shut out by the Bengals passing attack...Parker would give more consistent points
    Johnson- Had him last year....he "is" the chiefs weapon. Even when he had an off game he still scored great points.
    Gore- Consisten points again. Addai could be great then shut out.
    James- Don't trust Portis' health for some reason.
    Jacobs- really a tossup here but with the way Jacobs was in goal to go last year....I think he's the right choice here

Leinart- Only because of the new coach in Arizona. I think it will benefit Leinart more this year ....next year...maybe Cutler
    Losman- Gore will be the point scorer for Niners...Losman improved last year but...wouldn't want to chose between either of these two for starter
    Johnson- just cause....
    Harrison- Consistent points man.....Still Mannings favorite target
    Peterson- He will show big time in Minnesota this year....
    Green- He can always get you the recieving yards too

17. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Alex Smith or JP Losman - Losman. I'm not sure if Alex is a dependable FF QB just yet.

Roy Williams or Chad Johnson - Johnson. He's got an elite QB throwing to him, Detroits line has holes, which can cause damage to Roy's numbers.

Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne - Harrison. Peyton's Favorite target. Marvin's still got it in him, a great Wide Receiver and safe choice for a FF WR, IMO.

Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson - I've really only seen stuff from Adrian. I no very little on Lynch and Jackson, so I'll say Peterson.

Ahman Green or Jamal Lewis - I'll say Lewis, Texans have a bad line but a lot of AFC North D's will want to get back at Lewis.

18. afjay

afjay Click. Clack.

Leinart I like his receivers more, and think he'll put up numbers. With the running game they've had he's gonna have to pass, plus I think they'll be coming from behind often. Not to mention Denver is a running offense.

Losman, I really wouldn't take either, but I think Losman is more fantasy ready then Smith.

Chad Johnson, just because Carson Palmer is much better then Jon Kitna.

Harrison, he's still the number one for a reason.

Peterson, the Vikings won't have much of a passing game, so a lot will be on Peterson

Lewis, I just think he's the better back at this point.

19. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

About those rookie RBs, when would you draft them, say in an IDP 12-team league? mid-rounds or late rounds?

20. wide right

Rounds 4-8