Will Moving Outside Hurt Minnesota Vikings More Than Expected?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Vikings' started by aschmidt, May 29, 2014.

1. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

The Minnesota Vikings are getting ready for their first season outdoors since the early 1980s before the team moved into the Metrodome. The team will spend the next two seasons outside at TCF Bank Stadium. There have been several teams that made a transition from a pro stadium to a college stadium when renovations were done or a new stadium was built without much success. The question is whether or not the Vikings can be one of the first teams not to have that decline during the transition. The example that is used most is the Chicago Bears who went from a 13-3 team in […]

Read the whole post here.

2. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I don't think it really matters where the Vikings play their home games.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i thought their new stadium was going to have a retractable roof?

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

i believe the stadium they will be using during the construction of the new faucility is outdoor.

5. CaptainStubing

ah, ok. that makes sense.

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

it gets flat out lethally cold in the twin cities.in the continental us,there are just a few cities that seem to always have a winter as cold as they do.playing outside when it is 10 below zero and the wind is blowing 30 mph is gonna effect everybody.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Why? Football players play outside all the time...

Aussie61 likes this.
  8. CaptainStubing

i loved playing in the rain or snow but when it would get down to 10 or 15 degrees, that was just painful.

9. Aussie61

Aussie61 Nutcase

I am really tired of hearing about this! If it's minus 20 for us,it's minus 20 for the opposition...if it's a blizzard for us,it's a blizzard for the opposition.The conditions are the same for both teams,and preparation and fundamentals are key.I believe with the new coaching staff we will be better prepared and better coached than we have been for years.How long that takes to transform into a winning record is anyones guess,but whether we are playing indoors or outdoors the conditions will not be an acceptable excuse!

DawkinsINT, DaBears22 and 86WARD like this.
  10. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

it is like taking someone from Hawaii and bringing them to Alaska. It is freaking cold yes, but the Hawaiian dude or dudette will be affected more than the people who live there. They are used to dealing with the cold. As far as the OP, seems to me it would help them because they run the ball with AP and who would want to get punished by him on a freezing cold day.

DaBears22 likes this.
  11. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

They'll be alright outside.

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Football games are often likened to war or battles. Suddenly we're supposed to care if someone's tootsies get cold? Suck it up, millionaires.

Buck Fenson, 86WARD and DaBears22 like this.
  13. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Yeah really. It'll be no different than playing in Chicago, Green Bay, Buffalo, Philly, Pitt, New England, etc in the winter. They are professionals not pussies.

86WARD and DawkinsINT like this.
  14. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

The night before a game in cold elements, the players should all watch the Ice Bowl to remind themselves of what the game is all about.

Aussie61 likes this.
  15. bcole

bcole General Disarray Fantasy Guru

I don't think that moving outside will affect the Vikings at all. Nor do I think that it will have any impact on their division rivals when they come to play, they're all used to playing in cold weather. It could actually be a huge advantage if they ever field a decent team and have the chance to host postseason games.

DawkinsINT and 86WARD like this.
  16. aschmidt

aschmidt 2nd String

Thanks for all the opinions. It is something that will be worth watching for as the season wears on.

17. Badger

Badger Rookie

Id agree with whomever said its probably not going to matter much where the Vikings play. Theyre a bad team and theyre going to lose a lot of games no matter if the game is played at the north pole.
    The cold is going to be a factor though and everyone is going to hate playing @ Minnesota because unlike Lambeau, TCF Bank isnt equipped to deal with the cold.
    If you remember a few years back when their inflatable roof collapsed and the Vikes had to play at TCF Bank for a few weeks, there were a lot of problems with cuts and scrapes from getting tacked on frozen ground.