World Series- Philadelphia Phillies Vs. Tampa Bay Rays

Discussion in 'Baseball Talk' started by Bears 88, Oct 19, 2008.

1. smeags

smeags militant geek

i'll give you the 1st point but you fans didnt show up all year until the playoffs. lame. not as bad as the marlin fan but close.

2. ravenfan52

ravenfan52 Perennial All Pro

rays in 6. will be rootin' for phils though.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Amen. Fox execs are probably jumping for joy over the prospects of this WS.

First, they probably wanted the Mets, but that didn't happen.

Then, they wanted one or both of the Chicago teams, but that didn't happen.

Then, they wanted the Red Sox, but that didn't happen.

4. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

Hey, don't lump me and Mushman with the other front-runner Rays fans - I've been a fan since day one, and I agree with you that the front-runners are lame. Just like the local bandwagon Yankee & Red Sox fans who show up to the games that were born & raised in Florida! God I hate that!!!!:banghead:

5. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Damn sue looks like it's just you and me kiddo. That's alright let's read this thread after Thursday.:icon_cheesygrin:

6. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

That's right!!! Hopefully the Rays will be heading to Philly up 2-0!!!:icon_thumleft:

7. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

The Rays aren't riding any higher than us. I know you wouldn't know it by listening to the media, but the Phillies actually won games to advance to the World Series, too. Just because the Rays almost choked up the series doesn't give them any more momentum. I actually think them having to win in 7 after losing the 7 run lead because it gives them more of a "thank god we got out of that" mentality than a confidence boost.

I think it's going to be a very good series. Both teams can hit homers, but I think the Rays have a deeper lineup. Defensively, I think the Phillies are better, but I don't know how many of these current players have played in the Trop and that goobered white ceiling could (but hopefully won't) end up playing a role when all is said and done. The bullpens are a wash, but for now I give the Phillies the edge, because they have more confidence going in and a set back of the bullpen.

For the Phillies, the series rests on Hamels. If he can continue to dominate and get wins in the (possible) two starts he makes, than we're in very good shape. You want to be able to win the series without having to beat the other team's ace more than once. Right now, Garza is that guy. Since he just pitched, he probably won't be pitching Game 1, which means he won't be matched up with Hamels. Phils need to take advantage of that.

For the Rays, David Price is the key. It's a huge and pressure filled role for a young kid to take on, but we've seen it done before. If he can step up and take over the closer spot that the Rays have passed around this postseason, Tampa is in good shape.

It's going to be a great series with a lot of young talent and fresh faces, Can't wait for it to start.

8. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

The crazy thing is in some ways the Rays can thank themselves for the home field advantage. Longo drove in the tying run in the bottom of the 8th of the All Star game. Then Kaz came off the bench and picked up the win with a scoreless 15th after Michael Young hit the game winner in the bottom half of that inning.

9. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

And the Phils can thank Billy Wagner for blowing it......

and, um, maybe Brad Lidge...just a little.:icon_mrgreen:

10. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I think the Rays will win

11. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

:Loco:

12. eaglesrule4ever

eaglesrule4ever Pro Bowler

All the teams in philadelphia are winning it all this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

In your wet dreams maybe.

14. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

I wish

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Brad Lidge...he's okay...

16. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

This should be a good series. Outside of Hamels, I'm a little worried about our starting pitching against the Rays bats, but then again they've pitched well so far throughout the playoffs. Hopefully they can keep it up and Howard's bat wakes up in this series big time.

17. suedon70

suedon70 Sports Chica

This is gonna be a great series....Honestly, I'm just so proud of the Rays making it this far. Joe Maddon is a terrific coach, and the guys are playing with a lot of heart.

The Phillies are a great team with tons of talent. I really enjoy watching Howard, Rollins & Utley play. If the Red Sox had beat the Rays last night, I would've definitely been rooting for the Phillies in that WS, believe it or not....

18. ball in the baskett

ball in the baskett First Team All Pro

Im only worried about moyer.

19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Bets for the World Series are up in the Sports Book section.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm only worried about Brett Myers' mental status come game time...