Your Thoughts On Matt Cassel (So Far)

Discussion in 'Kansas City Chiefs' started by warcrychief, Oct 14, 2009.

1. hermhater

hermhater Guest

He(7)'s earning his money through labor for sure.

2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

he still doesn't make decisions real quick (which was the major flaw i saw in him last year in New England) and it gives the defenders time to catch up on the pass pattern and increases sacks. i think this is something he can learn to do a better job of ..........

3. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

His contract isn't bad considering the franchise tag. There's 28 million in guaranteed money. Just playing this year without a new contract would have netted him 15 million. Then we'd be left with having to franchise him again or let him go...which would have been 16-17 million which already passes the 28 million his contract has in guaranteed money. If he turns out to be a solid QB for us over the next 6-8 years it's a bargain contract.

4. Lord_Joe

Lord_Joe Smiley Bugger

im not and never have been a fan of Cassel. the way i see it (as a Chiefs outsider) is that Brodie Croyle is the most physically talented QB on the roster, and as the best fit for an NFL offense. Cassel to me has the same strengths as Tyler Thigpen, but Thiggy is a better runner, more composed in the pocket and is paid a fraction of the price. The only thing Cassel has is that hes 2 inches taller. is 2 inches of height worth 63 million?

In order of talent:
    Croyle, Thigpen, Cassel.

sorry KC fans.

5. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Not even close Joe. These we know for sure: Croyle has the best arm, Thigpen has the best legs.

Croyle cannot read defenses, has no pocket presence, below average accuracy, and is injury-prone. Total NFL wins = 0

Thigpen has a rag arm, is inaccurate as hell, and he takes off and runs at the first sign of trouble. Total NFL wins = 1

Cassel has a much better arm than Thigpen, is waaaay more accurate than both Thigpen and Croyle. He can get to 2nd and 3rd reads if he has time. Will stand in the pocket and take a hit to make a throw. Is reasonably mobile and can escape pressure if needed. Total NFL wins = 11

The only knocks on Cassel are holding the ball too long (could be due to not getting a normal amount of time to make reads) and operating out of the shotgun most of the time (again could be a refelction of our o-line).

6. CaptainStubing

i tend to lean towards pctrips analysis over LordJoe's but I wouldn't say Cassell is THAT much more accurate than Croyle or Thigpen and Cassell doesn't read defenses any quicker at this point. Apparently Pioli and Haley feel Cassell has more ability to get better in the future out of the 3 though. We'll see if they are correct down the road.

7. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Cassel holds on to the ball too long because he can't read a defense very well, evident by his sack total in NE. He can't take a snap from under center, not because of the O-line, but because he can't do it. Again look at what he did in NE. At the end of last season the only time I remember him taking snaps from under center was in a goalline formation. Win total is a very poor judgement on how well a QB did. Thigpen lead the Chiefs to an offense that averaged over 20 points a game, the reason for those losses was the fault of an absolutely horrible defense.

8. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I like Matt Cassel...he doesn't really seem to get nervous on the field, and he makes some pretty good throws, and knows (usually) when to run for his life. I think he'll be fine when (if) we ever get the O-line fixed.

I think we should just shoot LJ...he's done.

9. CaptainStubing

well, bandi, you are correct that he doesn't have a lot of talent around him but there is no question that Cassell needs to read faster, make decisions faster, and be more consistently accurate (these things were obvious last year playing with a talented NE offense, not just a bad KC offense). he has a lot of things to work on but apparently pioli and haley felt he has the ability to get better as time goes along.

10. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

And I think he will get better as time goes on. :icon_cool:

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I still don't understand Haley's love fest and craving for LJ's c**k. The Chiefs' best weapon is Bowe, so why not get him the ball?

12. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

I'm with you...I don't get it either....I don't know about the other Chiefs fans feelings here, but I am totally frustrated with Haley giving the ball to LJ on 3rd and long constantly....it makes no sense at all.

13. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

I didn't watch a lot of NE games so I didn't see a lot of Cassel. I did see that he won 11 games. Go look at the stats of all three quarterbacks. Cassel is clearly the best one. Both Croyle and Thigpen have career completion percentages under 60.

Based on my observations I have seen Cassel go through his progressions. It does seem like he holds the ball too long but at least his first instinct isn't to run. Thigpen would run if the first read wasn't there. Croyle would panic if the first read wasn't there. I would like to see him play under center a little more. It would help out our running game. I'm going to start keeping track of how much he plays under center.

14. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Again comparing apples to oranges. Put Thigpen with Moss and Welker I guarentee he has better stats than Cassel. Thigpen and Croyle had TG to throw to, who was constantly double covered, and Bowe who struggled with drops.

15. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

Only if they are the first read, are open, and less than 20 yards down the field. I watched every single second Thigpen played last year.....you must be clueless if you think he's any more than a journeyman backup QB in the NFL. I hope he ends up starting in Miami so you'll get the reality break.

16. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

:icon_rolleyes: He would have time to make reads in NE but again you don't see the point I am making.

17. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

I know what your point is, I just don't agree with it. Thigpen would not go through read progressions because he can't. He'd look, receiver is covered, he'd tuck and run.

18. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

here's a summary of the scouting report on Thigpen (found on a Dolphins website)
    Pretty spot on and what I've been saying.

19. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Again you obviously don't get my point. I don't think Thigpen is the greatest QB of all time or that he is a very good QB. I think he is average, but you put him in the situation Cassel was in NE, he would have the same success if not better.

20. pctrips

pctrips Pro Bowler

He never would have saw the field in NE, which is my point.