I would like to start this off by saying I’m pumped to join the great crew here at Fantasy Knuckleheads. I’m going to do my best to make sure you play the team defense that will get you the most points each week.
These rankings are based off of standard league scoring and are ranked in fantasy value. For instance I know Dallas’ D has been good this year but their 1 INT and 3 Fumble Recoveries aren't going to get you the points you need to win.
So without further ado here are my team defense week 5 rankings.
- Houston Texans – Everyone saw what SF did to the Jets last week and there is no reason why Houston can’t repeat or beat that performance.
- Chicago Bears – Great match-up vs. a weak Jac offense. Bears lead the league in INTS and defensive touchdowns and they should light up Jacksonville. The only reason they aren’t number one is the fact Jacksonville has zero passing game right now so they are going to lean heavy on MJD.
- Baltimore Ravens – The Ravens head into KC and their secondary is licking their chops at the thought of going up against pick happy Matt Cassel.
- Minnesota Vikings – In the dome vs. a Tennessee team that has Matt Hasselbeck running the show. Vikings D has been tough at home and their special teams have been even better.
- San Francisco 49ers - The 9ers defense is getting stronger by the week. They put up huge numbers last week vs. the weak Jets and so be able to get to Fitzpatrick causing turn overs.
- Arizona Cardinals - Surprise defense of the year to me so far. Good team speed. St. Louis is bringing a banged up RB and WR who don't really pose a deep threat. Look for Arizona to jump a lot of the quick slants.
- San Diego Chargers - I might regret putting SD up this high this week going against Brees and the boys in NO, but the Chargers secondary looked pretty good in week 4 and NO is a pass happy offense. Play SD with caution.
- St. Louis Rams - StL's corners have been having a good year especially Finnegan who will be lined up with Fitz all night. Arizona's run game is still a question mark so the Rams should be good for a couple of picks.
- Green Bay Packers - Going up against a newly inspired Colt's offense GB's blitzing and different packages should cause some headaches for young Luck.
- New York Giants - They have Cleveland at home that right there is good enough reason right there.
- Cincinnati Bengals - Have the most sacks in the league to this point (17) and should have no problem getting into the Miami backfield.
- Pittsburgh Steelers - It was tough for me to decide where to throw Pitt on this list. So far their D hasn't put up too good of fantasy numbers. But Mr. Polamalu and Mr. Harrison are supposedly playing this week. This could be the last time this year they are ranked outside of the top 10.
- Philadelphia Eagles - Only 26.00 points to date from this D so far and 7 total sacks. If Big Ben has time he will make Philly pay. Rivally games, however, bring out the best in teams. Not a bad play if you can't get one of the top 12 D's.
- Seattle Seahawks - D has been solid this year......at home. Seattle plays a Carolina team that is looking to prove itself. Good chance Cam goes off.
- Miami Dolphins - Middle of the road secondary faces a decent offense. Also not a horrible play if you have too.
- Atlanta Falcons - RG 3 has been a defensive nightmare so far.
- Carolina Panthers - Last week Wilson threw 4 picks. I think Seattle will give "Beast Mode" a bigger role this week and that means less turnovers.
- New Orleans Saints - There is a reason they are winless and it's not the offense
- Buffalo Bills - Paging Mario Williams.....are you out there?
- New England Patriots - Normally a solid D to play but against pass happy Peyton I would seek other options
- New York Jets - Could get very ugly against a good Houston offense
- Denver Broncos - Tom Brady plus 2 100 yard+ rushers last week equal don't play this D
- Washington Redskins -Injuries have really hurt this D and Matty Ice and the boys are running on all cylinders
Kansas City Chiefs