One of the best things regarding fantasy football is that there will always be a at least one option that comes out of the woodwork, especially at running back. In Week 5, we saw Jackie Battle make a name for himself. Last weekend we saw Earnest Graham showing us he still has some legs left. And now that Felix Jones is dealing with a high-ankle sprain, rookie DeMarco Murray has a chance to make it big against the Rams.
Below are my running back rankings going into Week 7.
TOP FIVE WEEK-SEVEN MATCHUPS (MUST START)
1. Darren McFadden (OAK) vs. KC: Like last week, McFadden is the head of the pack going up against AFC West rival Kansas City. The Chiefs are giving up over 22 fantasy points a game thus far, so I expect big things from McFadden playing at home. The Raiders figure to use the run heavily while Carson Palmer gets used to playing again..
2. Ray Rice (BAL) @ JAX: Rice may have lost a touchdown to Ricky Williams against the Texans, but he still chipped in 161 total yards and 5 receptions. Rashard Mendenhall torched the Jaguars Defense last weekend. Expect Rice to do the same in Week 7.
3. Adrian Peterson (MIN) vs. GB: The Packers run defense is starting to look a bit shell shocked after Steven Jackson came four yards short of a 100-yard game in Week 6. Christian Ponder will get the start this week, but that might be good news considering how bad Donovan McNabb has looked. The Vikings are going to run-run-run a lot to give Ponder some confidence.
4. Rashard Mendenhall (PIT) @ ARI: Mendenhall finally broke out of his fantasy slump, putting up 146 rushing yards and a touchdown against the Jaguars last week. He faces an Arizona D that is giving up close to 119 rushing yards a game. I smell another 100+ from Mendy this week.
5. Arian Foster (HOU) @ TEN: Foster played horrendous last week against the Ravens, chipping in a measly 49 yards on the ground. The Ravens only give up 11.2 fantasy points to running backs, so he did have an excuse. It could have been much worse, but Foster managed to salvage some of his value with his 6 receptions and 52 receiving yards. Foster even admitted that he played "terrible," but I expect him to bounce back this week.
|6.||Matt Forte (CHI)
||@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
|7.||Chris Johnson (TEN)||vs. Houston Texans|
|8.||Ryan Mathews (SD)
||@ New York Jets|
|9.||Michael Turner (ATL)
||@ Detroit Lions|
|10.||Maurice Jones-Drew (JAX)
||vs. Baltimore Ravens|
|11.||Steven Jackson (STL)
||@ Dallas Cowboys|
|12.||Ryan Torain (WAS)||@ Carolina Panthers: Panthers give up the most fantasy points to running backs with 28 per game.|
|13.||Beanie Wells (ARI)||vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
|14.||Earnest Graham (TB)
||vs. Chicago Bears: Bears give up close to 18 points a game to fantasy backs. Vikings had to abandon the run last week.
|15.||Willis McGahee (DEN)
||@ Miami Dolphins
|16.||Daniel Thomas (MIA)
||vs. Denver Broncos
|17.||Shonn Greene (NYJ)||vs. San Diego Chargers
|18.||DeMarco Murray (DAL)||vs. St. Louis Rams: Great matchup for a debut.|
|19.||Peyton Hillis (CLE)||vs. Seattle Seahawks: This ranking will change if Hillis is definitely out (hamstring).|
|20.||Jackie Battle (KC)
||@ Oakland Raiders
|21.||Darren Sproles (NO)||vs. Indianapolis Colts
|22.||Marshawn Lynch (SEA)||@ Cleveland Browns|
|23.||Jahvid Best (DET)||vs. Atlanta Falcons: Hasn't been ruled out yet.
|24.||Mark Ingram (NO)||vs. Indianapolis Colts
|25.||Jonathan Stewart (CAR)
||vs. Washington Redskins|
|26.||James Starks (GB)||@ Minnesota Vikings
|27.||Joseph Addai (IND)||@ New Orleans Saints: Recent news came out Friday that Addai full practiced Friday and is expected to play.
|28.||Michael Bush (KC)||vs. Kansas City Chiefs
|29.||Mark Ingram (NO)
||vs. Indianapolis Colts
|30.||Reggie Bush (MIA)||vs. Denver Broncos: Came up big Monday night, but I don't see it happening again this week. Better PPR option.
BEST OF THE REST:
|31. Ryan Grant (GB) @ Minnesota Vikings|
|32. Knowshon Moreno @ Miami Dolphins
|33. DeAngelo Williams vs. Washington Redskins
|34. Thomas Jones (KC) @ Oakland Raiders|
|35. Tashard Choice vs. St. Louis Rams
I wish everyone the best of luck this week. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post below.