12 Team Standard Scoring Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by BgFisher2, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BgFisher2

BgFisher2 Rookie Premium Member

Had a question about draft strategy with the format of this new league I joined. I have never drafted in a league with this type of roster freedom.

Roster
    QB
    RB/WR
    RB/WR
    WR/TE
    WR/TE
    WR/TE
    TE
    DST
    K

I am in the 12th position in the draft. I have never been in a league where I could technically not play a running back and go 5 WR's. What do you guys think I should be targeting with those first 2 picks?

2. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Read this first. This will help you with value in regards to your cheat sheets.
    In the video below, replace "big board" with "cheat sheet" - and replace "power rating" with value" - same concepts -

draft the position which has the largest drop off in points at "next value" - this ensure you don't wait on a position when it's replacement value (next value) is much lower than the other possible position.

example:

John RB - Value 60 - ADP 20 - Next Value 20 ADP 34 (the replacement value for John RB is minus 40 - see that?)

Jim WR - Value 40 - ADP 21 - Next Value 36 ADP 36 (the replacement value for Jim WR is minus 4 - see that?)

This means draft John RB - because the next guy that you'll be looking at is projected to score 40 points less... where as at Jim WR, you can have someone that will score nearly as many points but is available a full round later!

Also read this - http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/fantasy-football-draft-strategy-quarterbacks/ which advocates taking the top tier RB first, followed by the top tier WR and TE, followed by the top tier QB. Meaning, if a top tier RB is still around at pick 5, choose him. It also means, if you're at pick 8 and all the top tier RB are gone, it's time to look at the top tier WR/TE. And finally, if you're at pick 10 and all the top tier WR/TE/RB are gone you could consider a top Tier QB if your league is QB friendly. Also, if you have drafted with this league before you may have a hunch if one of those top tier QB will available in Round 2, in which case it might be wise to wait until round two. Like I said, read this - http://fantasyknuckleheads.com/fantasy-football-draft-strategy-quarterbacks/

I am sure you will have a lot of questions after this with this type of league, but this is a good start.